Thursday, April 30, 2009

Philm Review: Southland tales

Phil M. Bufferton – I like movies more than CelluLloyd





Like watching an obese man stuffed full like a pate goose with Mexican party favors, yellowcake uranium glo-stick liquid and Chinese fireworks explode at EuroDisney


The absurditee of this film hit me particularly hard first off because I hunkered down and watched this on April 26th, 2009 year of our Lord, and the movie begins with Texas getting nuked in the near future of 2008. I smirked to myself with great irony as I continued to peruse this mildly interesting alternate near future past subjunctive perfect.


This attack causes America to go completely insane and attack all of the best oil producing countries. They also state that the United States instates a state of pseudo-marshall law, requiring citizens to need a passporte to go from state to state. In our blind rage we Americans make enemies of all the oil providers, resulting in an oil, and therefore petroleum, and therefore gasoline, shortage. Alternative fuels become a sought after novelty and commodity. The most prominent and exciting one is called “liquid karma”. Awesome.



Well enough of this preamble. This movie caught a lot of flaque for being “absolutely fucking terrible. I’d rather stare at my microwave turned off and empty” quoth the Siskel. My hypothesis is, however, that this movie was trying to be the worst shit ever on purpose. Very Avante Garde, and once you realize this the movie is quite the agreeable experience due to its zaniness. Every person ever is in this movie, including a very many famous peoples known for their comedic prowess. For example: the three scientists who invent liquid karma are, no lie, the “incontheevable” guy from princess bride, the creepy old psychic from poultergeist, and Booger from Revenge of the nerds 1-23. That in itself is a joke, an awesome, awesome joke of awesome proportions. My only qualm comes in around hour 3 or 4 at which point I literally didn’t know where I was anymore. I felt like I was living in Southland, just waiting to get murderdeathkilled. Luckily I was just in my room watching a movie, thank you for your concern. This disorientation kinda put a moist towellette on the climactic(?) ending, in which everything weird decides to start making less sense in an effort to let the audience (me) know that the movie was coming to a close and reality will be reinstalled momentarily.



After the movie was over, I went to the bathroom and peed liquid karma. Was the movie real or just another spontaneous fever dream? I’ll let you decide in the comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment